Are you passionate about women’s rights in Africa, excited about African feminism, and embrace African women’s diversities?
Do you have experience on financial management and accounting; enabling you to contribute to the development and setting strategic plans and direction?
Are you experienced at preparing timely financial reports on project and statutory accounts?
Do you have fresh ideas about coordinating and managing budgets and other initiatives to increase effectiveness and efficiency and ensure integration among organisational functions?
The African Women’s Development Fund (AWDF) is a pioneering grantmaking foundation headquartered in Accra, Ghana. AWDF was founded by and for African women. Since its founding in 2001, AWDF has continued to support a growing portfolio of grants to leading women’s rights organisations and feminist movements across Africa, while also supporting knowledge generation, capacity building, movement building and donor advocacy around African women’s activist histories, movement resourcing needs, and feminist futures.
The Finance Manager’s role is to support direct and manage the financial functions of AWDF, providing leadership for AWDF’s financial resources and oversight for financial operations, systems and controls. The FM will be a member of the Senior Management Team and will report to the Director of Operations. The FM will work closely with the honorary Treasurer of AWDF.
- Participate in and contribute to the development and setting of AWDF’s strategic plans and direction.
- Manage the financial accounting requirements of the organisation, including financial planning and budgeting.
- Ensure compliance to legislative requirements
- Promote, build and sustain a positive, inclusive organisational culture.
- Work closely with Director of Operations and senior management to achieve AWDF’s overarching operational and programmatic goals.
- Support the Director of Operations on ways to improve the financial performance of the organisation.
- Implement financial policies, procedures and processes to ensure operational efficiency.
- Manage due diligence and financial management processes for grantees/ payment management.
- Oversee and manage the processing of all transactions and ensure all entries are recorded against the appropriate budget categories.
- Oversee the monthly payroll management process and ensure all statutory payments are adhered to.
- Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of bank and general ledger reconciliations, including the individual grant agreements to the grant income and expense account.
- Assist with the management of AWDF’s endowment and its investment
- Manage AWDF’s staff end-of-service benefits and its investment
- Work closely with the capacity building unit to assess the capacity of grantees, create training programs, guidelines and tools to enhance the financial management capacity of grantees.
- Prepare timely financial reports for Donors
- Prepare and report on project accounts and statutory accounts
- Monitor monthly expense reports versus budget forecasts for expense control and report on exceptions.
- Ensure that funds are being invested in accordance with policies approved by the Board.
- Work closely with the Director of Operations to coordinate and manage the AWDF annual budget and other initiatives for increasing effectiveness and efficiency and assure integration among all organizational functions
- Coordinate and lead external audit preparation
- Clear and resolve issues reported on by external and internal auditors where applicable.
- Identify finance related risk areas, maintain risk register and implement mitigating actions.
- Work within the performance management system to review performance, coach and develop staff and encourage continued learning and development of individuals within the department
- Monitor the team’s performance against the agreed organisational standards and ensure that problems are identified and resolved.
- Build an effective team within the Finance department as well as within the wider organisation
- The role holder will from time to time be required to carry out any other duties that are within the scope of the job.
- Promote AWDF’s values and principles which include a feminist ethos, equality, collaborative ways of working, team-work and positive interaction with diverse staffing and stakeholder groups
All staff members must demonstrate AWDF Core values in all their professional relationships and any interactions that may reflect on AWDF:
- Inclusive Diversity
- Feminist Leadership
- Professionalism, accountability and stewardship
- Solidarity and Partnerships
AWDF has a Zero Tolerance Approach to all forms of corruption which is an offence for which immediate dismissal will result.
Essential Knowledge and Experience
- Experience in Donor management and reporting
- Able to analyse and interpret complex financial statement to identify trends and significant messages using ratios, percentages and comparative figures
- Strong inter personal skills and problem solving skills
- Ability to make effective presentation to Senior Managers and responding to issues raised. Able to facilitate workshops and training sessions
- Knowledge and experience working in Sun Systems and/or other financial accounting system
- Ability to maintain a strong sense of focus on results, driving tasks and projects to completion
- Accuracy, confidentiality
- Excellent computer skills, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Internet and other similar applications
- Attention to detail in the production of high quality output, irrespective of level of pressure
- Well ordered and methodical approach to tasks to achieve planned outcomes
- Able to make pragmatic judgement based on practical thinking and previous experience
- Commitment and dedication to promoting gender equity in Africa is crucial
Minimum educational qualification:
- Chartered Accountant, Master’s degree in Finance or its equivalent
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree or similar qualification in Finance / Accounting
- At least 10 years’ experience in finance and accounting with 5 years in a
- Working experience in a grant making and donor-funded organisation is advantageous.
How to Apply
Applications should reach AWDF no later than Monday, 13th January, 2020. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please note that this is a national post on three-year renewable contract on local terms and conditions. AWDF will assist non-Ghanaian hires with work/resident permit processes but will not offer relocation expenses or expatriate benefits.
In line with AWDF’s mission, qualified African women candidates are encouraged to apply.